Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Jade



I do not care for most precious stones. I wear a simple gold wedding band, eschewing an engagement ring offered, oh so many years ago, and instead look for rocks like some women look for the perfect diamond.

I have moonstone, turquoise, rose agate, moldevite, ammolite, Mexican fire opal, and many more that are basically just rocks. Most of my jewelry is under $500.00. Not a collection that is bound for Southeby's when I die.

My current passion is jade. But when I started researching this stone I found that it can be incredibly expensive, especially for very green pieces with very little occlusions.  Jade is actually two different stones - jadeite and nephrite - with jadeite being the most valued. Most gem quality stones are Jadeite Burmese Jade, and the finest are Imperial green Jade. The value of jadeite depends on its degree of transparency and color. The most desired have intensive, even color, honey-like transparency, watery luster, translucency, even texture, and a pure vivid root-like structure. 


An understanding of jade should not limited to its technical aspects, however. Jade has as much to do with feeling as gem quality. The people of the Orient have developed an appreciation of the stone beyond anywhere else in the world, desiring it above all others - including gold and ivory. "Gold has value; jade is beyond value." Adding to the inscrutable nature of this precious stone is the knowledge that is locked away in arcane, non-Roman alphabet texts, adding to the mystery. The ancient Chinese believed that jade was a link between the physical and spiritual worlds - The Stone of Heaven - embodying both the yin and yang qualities of Heaven and Earth. Since it is a non-conductor, it feels cool to the touch. This coolness is said to elevate and purify one's thoughts, quieting the mind and inducing a state of contemplation. They also believed powdered jade taken internally, in the right dosage, could cure any ailment. That it could ward off bad luck and misfortune, creating greater health and mentality.

And what about the more modern mystical qualities often attributed to jade? 

It is said to help one to attain goals and dreams, identifying limitations so that you might manifest ideas into the physical world, promoting courage, compassion, justice, generosity, humility, wealth and longevity, allowing one to lead a richer and more fulfilling life. 

But for me, the most important aspect of jade is that it is a stone of the heart. Related to the fourth, or Heart Chakra (which is the color green), it is said to be beneficial to all related issues. Which is why I would love to have one hanging right on that place around my neck. 

What about you? Do you have a stone that you would like to have? Do you want to wear it or look at it? Why do you want that specific stone or jewel?

17 comments:

DJan said...

I am very fond of turquoise, I love the color and the texture. I don't know where it is on the spectrum or what it means, but I like it very much. I don't wear any jewelry these days, even rings, except for a tiny gold antique St. Christopher's medal around my neck that was given to me by my dear ex-boss in 1999.

Nancy said...

DJan - I love turquoise. Here is a site to read more about it:

http://gemstone-dictionary.com/turquoise.php

Cloudia said...

what an excellent little talk about jade!

Pink crystals please me lately :-)



Aloha from Honolulu

Comfort Spiral

> < } } ( ° >

><}}(°>

Brian Miller said...

i wear a ring that is made of a shiny swirled stone that rainbows when light hits it...sadly i have no idea what it is ...its beauty inspires me anytime i bring it to light...

Kathy G said...

I have a lot of jewelry (mainly gold, silver, and fake diamonds), but rarely wear it.

When DH and I traveled to China six years ago, one of the souvenirs we purchased (and by far the most expensive) was a beautiful jade frog. It's dark green, about five inches long, and looks and feels beautiful.

Gemel said...

My current favourite is Azeztulite, a stone connected to an Angelic group soul entity known as Azez.
It assists the body to activate to Light Body and to be a source of spiritual Light to others....

Jade is delightful too, although I do not think I actually have a piece.

Trish and Rob said...

Love jade, love lapis. There's a book would love: Gemisphere Luminary by Michael Katz. I got it years ago when my aunt, who was into gemstones, recommended it. It provides all the esoteric qualities of stones.

luksky said...

Jade is my favorite stone but I think it may be because my favorite color is green. I love the color so much I wanted to name my daughter Jade, but hubby wouldn't agree.

Nancy said...

Cloudia - I love pink crystals!

Brian - How wonderful that this stone brings so much pleasure.

Kathy - It sounds beautiful - and I love frogs.

Gemel - Off to check out this stone...

T - I'll have to check on this book, thanks for the heads up. I also love lapis.

luksky - I love the name Jade for a girl! I wanted to name my daughter Brie and my husband said no.

Rob-bear said...

Not much for jewellery here. (But when was the last time you met a Bear wearing rings?)

I have some, including Father's diamond ring. But I rarely wear anything except a golden wedding band (which I designed and an artist of metal executed). And a simple, silver Celtic braid ring on the other hand.

I hope you have much fun on your hunting. Also hope you don't get jaded on us, which is not likely for you.

CrazyCris said...

I don't have a favourite stone at the moment... my feelings for them come and go! But I have a couple of pounamou, nephrite jade pendants from New Zealand, given to me by my sister and parents, that I love and wear quite frequently!

Hilary said...

I do have a jade ring that belonged to my mother. I used to borrow it a lot when I was younger but haven't worn it in years. Maybe I should revisit that.

Though I've never owned one,I have always loved deep blue sapphires. The colour, mostly. When I was a child, that would be the toy ring I would want to wear.. the one with the sapphire blue stone. I'd probably still wear one if it didn't turn my finger green. ;)

susan said...

It's not a stone at all but I do like honey amber. Of course, I would love to hold something carved from Imperial Jade.

and yes, I also don't own much jewelry.

Nancy said...

Rob-Bear - You and I like the same it seems - simple gold wedding bands.

Chris - Now you know they are of the heart, as well as being pretty.

Hilary - i love blue saphires (and sometimes emerads) - but haven't really seen a pretty one in years. I think they are rare. I like the lighter color and not the ones that don't reflect the light.

Susan - My daughter loves amber. It is so warm.

Marguerite said...

I have a jade collection from many years ago and more recently, my daughter gave me a beautiful jade bracelet. My favorite is turquoise, which I have collected since high school.

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

I agree that jade is beautiful. I used to love coral, but I can't see it as jewelry without mourning the destruction of reefs. I love rose quartz for its color and its heart-healing properties.

Nicole said...

I am like you Nancy, not too many expensive pieces except my engagement ring. But I do have priceless sentimental rings, like the one my 9 year old bought for me at her school's Christmas bizarre. I love it. Aside from that, Jade is very beautiful. I do have a beautifully green jade Buddha. I love it. A piece I always get compliments when wearing is a moonstone necklace. The moonstone pendant is quite large and catches the light from so many angles - it allows for the colors to shift and dance from opal white to hues of pink and violet. When wearing it talking to someone I often notice that the person can't help but admire it.

Happy Jade collecting.