Friday, April 17, 2009

Age of Enightenment


Thanks everyone for all of your comments yesterday. They ranged from serious to funny to informative. I learned a few things. Always a good thing for me!

I would have to say, if the world is going to end, then I want to go out more "enlightened" than not. And I know that word evokes images of monks dressed in robes, chanting. Something unattainable for us average peeps. But for me, it is more about learning how to live day to day in a happier, less stressed, less fearful manner. Not an easy feat in today's climate (no pun intended.) So I guess I'm hoping for an "Age of Enlightenment" but I'm preparing for it to be either nothing, or the end, by working on myself. If we only have three or so years to live then I really want to make the most of it. And if I we have longer, wouldn't it make sense to learn how to enjoy it, regardless of the circumstances?

In the meantime, we need to go "green" as much as possible in a BIG way. Everyone, everywhere. We may not be able to turn the tide on global warming, but that doesn't mean we get to bury our heads and do nothing. And who knows, we may actually do some good. The human being is very resourceful and, when threatened with extinction, very motivated. 

As for being happier, less stressed, and less fearful, learning to live in the moment is truly the key. There are plenty of books out there that help you to do this, but it is really going to take a change in each of us to want to do that. To seek out that information, in whatever form, and be grateful for all the really small blessings in our lives. It takes work, and practice, but the end result is life changing, and life affirming, taking the fear out of the future.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

From the age of about 11 to 35, I believe I have read every self-help book published. They are wonderful resources to use as tools for improving your quality of life; but nothing beats reflection, decision, action, patience and time. Throw in some self-confidence and you're on your way to living each day the best you can. I'd love to think that the money I've spent on therapies and books, movies, audio tapes and seminars were key in my transformation, living for the moment and new lifestyle, but I suspect all of those things were keeping my mind busy while time took care of the healing.

On a silly note, if you watch Survivor, Coach is the image I thought of when I saw your sentence, ha ha. Pseudo-show-offy-enlightened! Humour is good too, keeps your heart light.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

I'm always proud of great individual like you. A person who can inspire other people to do something useful. I hope this world is full of people like you, not like people who always protest other people but do nothing.

I also agree with comment above from Rain. Like you, I've spent my money on books, movies, audio tapes, and seminars. And I've spent my little time to write about transformation of mind too. I hope it can be useful to everyone like this blog.

Let's think big, and do from smallest things in our life.

Thanks. Ms. Lover of Life (I'm sorry I can't find your real name on your profile), you've inspired me.

Linda Pendleton said...

"As for being happier, less stressed, and less fearful, learning to live in the moment is truly the key."

You said it. It is about how we as individuals choose to see our world, both inner and outer.

Crazeebee747 said...

amen, on the post. I am finding that gratitude and the seeing the blessing in the smallest things all add up. as for living in the now - what a great way to embrace fullness and know peace in the moment right now.

pedrorijo91 said...

great game http://rijoo.mybrute.com/

Joanne said...

A nice life philosophy, to be grateful for all the small blessings. They are what counts, day to day.

Anthony and Emily said...

Fantastic advice! We're currently on that voyage of becoming the best people we can be. It's very comforting to see other people in the world realizing it's really not about yesteray or tomorrow, it's the NOW that matters most. If we truly make the most of today, then tomorrow should hopefully be an extension of our current accomplishments. I love this BLOG!! Always inspirational, better then the news, makes me a happier person.

California Girl said...

it's not that hard to go green in small ways. email and doc readers reduce paper usage. putting all sales & product materials on the web rather than in brochure format do as well. turning out lights, buying CFL bulbs, driving less, buying cars with economic gas mileage, compost piles, recycling grey water, the list is endless and it all helps.

Think of it this way, if Al Franken can end up as Senator of Minnesota with a 312 vote margin (last count I heard on NPR yesterday) in a state where approximately 3,000,000 votes were cast, then EVERY LITTLE BIT COUNTS.

Babae Naantala said...

I agree... I'm going through the same thing right now... Life is what you make it so choose to be happy.

Unknown said...

Hi, my name's Leonardo and I'm writing from São Paulo, Brazil.
I'm learning English so don't mention if I write wrong.

I want to say that i'm learning how to live, because I am only 17, and I don't want to wait the end of the world to start to live...

I want to say that you make me think. And as Falordian said: you've inspired me.


So, congratulations for your blog. It's really good! That's it!

lolit said...

i agree with you we all need to go GREEN let us hold hand in hand to do this before it is too late.