Friday, May 13, 2011

Look For The Signs



I believe that when we commit to something - truly commit - the universe starts organizing to make it happen. Even if we don't know the details, we can daydream the perimeters of how we want our lives to look. For example, I have been dreaming of a shared-resources community for some time. I've posted about it more than once on this blog. But the place to form this community has eluded me. I vacillate between Portland, OR and Maui, HI. Portland is where my children reside, and we love the city - well to be honest, I probably love it more than my husband does. In fact, he feels the rainy winters more than I do. We lived there for about 2.5 years, a few years back.

Maui, on the other hand, is where my husband feels he is most comfortable. There is something about the Aloha Spirit that inspires him to be the man he wants to be. Corporate America has not been the place to feel connected to what he feels is important - all those fuzzy things like love, kindness, the environment. So when he sees himself retired - it is not in a city, but much closer to whales - his current obsession.

Which brings me to the gist of this post. When we commit to what we want in our lives - the universe begins organizing, little signs and synchronicities emerge, and the puzzle pieces begin to come together to make it happen.

The other day I had read something that made me feel that I no longer wanted to live in America. I won't go into the details, but it just felt as though the country has been going in the opposite direction from all the things I believe to be important and true. I started looking at New Zealand properties, I looked at Canadian properties - but both felt very far from home. (I know, I just said I wanted to move away from America - but let's face it - it is my home and I do love it in so many ways.) Anyway, one of the other issues that I have been noodling is the fact that there are very few people in my life that share my same belief system, that see consciousness as anything more than having one's eyes open. We have plenty of friends - just none that share my worldview. I feel like such an oddball sometimes.

So I was feeling a bit down about things when I looked down and noticed Maui Vision Magazine on my automan - which is all about holistic living in Maui. Many people advertise alternative business practices in this magazine. I had one of those "light-bulb moments" when I realized that the small island of Maui is where "my" community resides. It is where my husband wants to live, and where at least one of my daughters would like to raise her family.


I had also talked about a school in this post, and my youngest emailed me the other day saying that since her nephew could not find a preschool that didn't require being on a waiting list from birth - maybe she and I could create a preschool if she couldn't find a job with her masters in education - which she begins in June. She was thinking Portland, but why not Maui?

My post from yesterday was written by a man by the name of Mark Sheehan. I mentioned his name in my post. Look what I found in Maui Vision Magazine today:


IT TAKES A VILLAGE TO RAISE THE FUTURE
There is a growing movement that recognizes how small sustainable communities can make a big difference for the health of the environment and the quality of life for everyone. Even in big cities there are co-operatives forming to share resources and reap the rewards. Maui is the perfect place for new models of community to grow and flourish.

HOW CAN YOU GET STARTED?
Consider making a list of people you know who share your values and have specific skills and resources. Go online and look at types of shared living to get ideas for what you want. Start a list of your needs and resources.

THE RIGHT PROPERTY FOR THE RIGHT COMMUNITY
For the last 25 years I've been helping people locate and buy ideally suited sustainable Maui properties and know what it takes to form a functioning co-operative. If you want help from a realtor with a lot of experience in this realm, give me a call.
Mark Sheehan - Coldwell Properties

I think we are going to give him a call...


18 comments:

Reya Mellicker said...

Onwards, upwards and Alohaaa!!

Jen said...

WHOA! Yeah, I think you pretty much have to call him! If it were a snake it would have bit you- or however the saying goes... :o)

ellen abbott said...

cool!

gypsywoman said...

right in the nick of time, i'd say! you go, girl!!!

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Everything happens for a reason. We are all being led somewhere, just have to pay attention.

luksky said...

Looks like you've had a few "godwinks" recently. Follow through...

Brian Miller said...

very nice...would love to see this idea move forward...

Bruce Coltin said...

I think that this going to work for you. And, I feel that we are all taking part (a tiny part) in your adventure.

California Girl said...

this strikes a chord with me and I've sent the post to both sons and my husband. I'm hoping my sons will take it to heart. They haven't made too many hard choices yet.

karen said...

Very cool! Love when the universe gives a shout! I've had the same feeling about living in America...would love to know what you read.
One of the things I love best about stopping here at your blog is that I find a connection. I myself feel like an oddball...and here at your blog is a place where judgments don't exist, and it's very comforting.
Looking forward to hearing what Mark has to say about the Maui properties. Feel you're on the right track. Good luck and best wishes with that.

Umā said...

Amazing! I look forward to hearing about how this unfolds and Maui sounds truly amazing. Just today I was jotting down notes (a map of sorts) of the opportunities and "coincidences" (hardly) that have opened up for me in the past year and a half. Looking back I can see how each step led to the next to the next to the next...and there are lots more steps to take! It's exciting when you can recognize the connections.

I feel blessed to live in an area where I am not an oddball - we are definitely surrounded by like-minded people and there are a number of spiritual and sustainable communities in the hills - Sirius Community probably being the most well known. Coming here on a whim, 20 years ago, was in itself a major step towards wherever it is I'm going...

Anonymous said...

I share your appreciation for Portland, OR. Some of the nicest people in the world.

Also, excited for you that the universe is moving you closer to where you are called to be.

Lastly, it is unfortunate that your husband's experience toward Corporate America is soul-robbing, and I hear it from so many. It does lack a human connection.

I have decided to leave it, have written recent posts on it...I call it my Hunger Games, and hope my own experience encourages others to seek their own heart's desire. Just like you have.

Nancy said...

Jen - That's what I was thinking!

Reya - :-) You'll have to come visit...

Ellen - I'm thinking I have my location. Now for the rest of it...

Gypsy - It does seem to point to going far West.

Kathy - I totally agree with that statement.

luksky - Love that term - "godwinks"

Brian - I will work on it. We still have a few years until retirement, so hopefully it will come together.

Bruce - You are, you defintely are.

California - It is so hard for young people these days, but if they can begin to see the signs that point them in certain directions, they are well ahead of the game.

Maggie - It is so hard feeling like an oddball. You say something you think is interesting and everyone quits talking and just looks at you...

Melanie - I've followed some of your posts and it does seem as though you are living in an environment that speaks to who you are as a person. I don't think that is true for me right now, but it is something I can remedy. I like how you are journaling your experiences to see the signs unfolding.

Here - I can think of no better time to find your soul's purpose than right now. I can't wait to hear more about your journey.

DJan said...

I look forward to hearing where all this will be going, Nancy. It really does sound synchronous to me. We (hubby and I) retired in just the right place for us, but after all this rain, I can relate to your husband's reticence about it. Hawaii sounds perfect!

Trish said...

Wow. This is cool. Can't wait to see if it's Hawaii - or elsewhere. Glad to see that blogger is back up.

Paula said...

I really relate to almost everything you said in this blog. I have felt like an oddball amongst many of my friends and have actually secluded myself from many of them. My views are so different from them. I was also just looking in Canada as my husband could have had an opportunity to work their for a couple of years. Anyway long story short it's not easy trying to fit in when your views are different. Life goes on though.

susan said...

Since returning to Canada last fall I'm still wondering where my community may be found. Mutual trust is essential and that takes time.

Nancy said...

DJan - The rain doesn't get me down - I'm a big water person - in any form - but my husband does seems to not enjoy it quite as much. This last winter has been another long one for the West Coast.

Trish - You can check it out next year and see what you and Rob think.

Paula - The weird thing is that I realize it is I who have changed - not them. But it still feels as though I cannot really talk about any of the things I would like to, most conversations revolve around what they would like to talk about. Some day I want to have a dinner party with like-minded souls discussing all the things I find interesting. And there are so many interesting things happening in the world right now. Want to come to dinner, LOL?

Susan - You make a good point. A feeling of belonging happens over time. But I think some communities are more open to people in general, than others.