We took our niece to lunch last week at the Hyatt, which has a beautiful restaurant right on the lake. Afterwards we took a walk out to their floating dock where they will open a bar when the weather warms up. What struck me was all of the beach equipment out, with absolutely no one on the beach. I have certainly been on the beaches when they are empty in the winter, but never when all the beach equipment is out. Anyway, I though you might enjoy some "fun facts" about Lake Tahoe. There is no doubt this place is very spiritual, and has great power.
- Second deepest lake in the US at 1,645 feet deep
- 22 miles long, 12 miles wide
- Average surface elevation at 6,225 ft above sea level
- Sun shines at Lake Tahoe 75% of the time
- Lake level average snow fall 125 in. per year
- Alpine ski areas receive 600 in. per year
- Surface temp varies between 41-68 degrees; below 600-700 ft it stays at 39 degrees
- If you poured out Lake Tahoe it would cover California 14 inches deep.
- There is 39 trillion gallons of water in the lake, enough to supply every person in the US with five gallons of water per day for five years.
- Evaporation of 330 million gallons of water per day - enough to supply a city the size of LA for five years.
- It has 63 tributaries but only one outlet - Truckee River.
What about where you live? Do you have any fun facts to share?