Sunday, January 18, 2009

Eccentricities


You really get to know your husband or wife when you spend every waking minute with them for nine months. Our life for the last twenty-eight years has mostly been spent from 5:00 to around 8:00 every day except weekends. Weekends consisted of my husband doing what he wanted to do, since most of the other hours in the week he spent working. So over the last nine months we have discovered each other's eccentricities. Little things that you really don't know about one another. Things that one does when one is alone. Or things that manifest due to a wealth of time on one's hands. I know I have a variety of little things that my husband now knows that maybe he didn't know before spending this much time with me. For instance, I am a slow starter in the morning. I like to read the paper (or various on-line papers such as Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Motherjones, etc.), have my coffee, until about 10:00 and then my day begins. This is something he really didn't know. He is usually gone early and by the time he gets home, the house is tidy, I am showered, dinner is on it's way. He, on the other hand, has a few little eccentricities of his own. He has taken to wearing a headlamp for way too many tasks. It started out when he needed to see what he was doing in a dark spot, then while he was hooking up the wiring to the stereo and television. Then he used it while he was waxing the new wooden hearth. He said it made it easier to see where he needed to buff. All this made sense to me until I caught him using it while doing something on his computer. Hmmmmm, I'm thinking we need to get something going here. We're getting a little strange...

3 comments:

Unknown said...

We all have our little oddities and when I retired my wife and I learned about eacothers. The answer for us was a bigger house and separate offices. That way we both still get our us time.

Rose said...

When it is time for bed make sure that headlight is in another room. Just sayin'

Jen said...

LOL I think it's CUTE!