Friday, August 21, 2009

Where do the years go?





One of my girlfriends, that has been a friend for over 35 years, come up to spend the night and go to the lake with me today. It was fun catching up, as we rarely talk on the phone more than a couple times a year. But many years ago, when we were both very young and single, we developed a tradition of going to the lake at least once a year. When we first started going we had our bottle of wine and some towels, maybe a sandwich, and headed for the beaches you have to hike down from the road to access.

Over the years that changed to the crowded Sand Harbor beach with very soft sand that our children played in with their buckets and shovels. It has an area that is protected and shallow - which makes it warmer than the lake and ideal for little swimmers.




A few years ago my daughters and her daughter quit going with us, opting to go to the lake with their friends (to the beaches you hike down to access.)

This year our day was spent on the West end of the lake at a park that was an old mansion and playground for the rich and famous during the days of the Comstock and timber barrons out of San Francisco.





You can tour the mansion and the grounds and/or sit under some lovely trees on rolling green grass the extends down to the beach and water:




We sat mostly under the trees, as tanning is not something either of us does anymore, sans the bottle of wine. Wine? In the middle of the day at the beach? Ummm who's DD? We didn't swim much, something that we have always enjoyed doing together. But we talked and enjoyed the view, and the companionship that comes from years of knowing one another. We caught up on what our children were doing, how their lives have turned out so far, what they aspire to in the future.

We realized that time has marched right along. Our children are now in charge of their lives, making their own decisions, creating their worlds. Ours has changed. We are slowing down, enjoying the little things, the small moments. Our bodies have changed, our hair, wrinkles have appeared. But we are still the same in so many ways. All the little ways that attracted us to each other all those years ago. We may think differently, but we respect each other. We know each other's tender places, because we were there when they were experienced. The scars that are healed now, but were once so raw.

And we wonder - what is in store for us now? How many more years will we come to the lake for our day?

32 comments:

Kathy G said...

What a wonderful story! Old friends are the best.

Anonymous said...

*sigh*

There is nothing like the company of an old and dear friend who knows you inside and out, and has been through it all with you.

I miss mine.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time. Lately I have been longing for the comfort of an old friend. Actually, my sister, I am trying to talk her into a short stay with me in the fall.....she is coming up with excuses, but I will eventually wear her down!

Hilary said...

this certainly rings true to me......and I definitely think you are onto something with your post about feeling differently in these times. But I also think it is our age.

Yunz said...

its so nice to have very close friends to spend a good time together...

bravo...

Leah J. Utas said...

"We know each other's tender places, because we were there when they were experienced."
This spoke deply to me. This is the reason we have friends and we keep them.

Rosaria Williams said...

Treasure every moment, every friend. Things will change faster from now on.

Unknown said...

So Beautiful.
Thank you for sharing the moments you had with your friend. My BFFs plan and generally attend a "Chick's Kick" weekend once or twice a year. Some of us have known each other since 3rd grade. We lost one of us to cancer last year. Very difficult. Take care of you!

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Long term friends are a treasure. And yes, as we age, those questions do haunt us - how many more meetings - how much longer. But those are the very questions that can make us truly appreciate every moment we do have.

Thanks for a sweet post.

Sarah Lulu said...

What a beautiful relaxing post.

The lake and friendship and time ....

Ambiance in the Attic said...

I too had a chance to visit my dear friend this past weekend. We have not seen each other in several years but we have stayed in touch over the phone and e-mail. Isn't it amazing how easy it is to connect with such a special friend after all the years. You have such a beautiful way of telling it!!

Marguerite said...

What a great tradition among old friends, in such a beautiful setting.
Love the pics! Happy weekend!

Wenny said...

A beautiful post to warm our hearts. Good friends, old or new, are a treasure to be kept close to our hearts.

Valerie said...

There's nothing like a good friend to confide in and enjoy life with. I miss my two friends both of whom emigrated to pastures new.

Hilary said...

There's nobody like a friend with whom you haven't seen for a long while, but can pick up where you left off as if it was yesterday.. and every day. Those of us who are lucky enough to have at least one friend like that are truly blessed.

Meeko Fabulous said...

Isn't it wonderful to have those kinds of friends? My oldest friends I've know since middle school and it's been about sixteen years! It's amazing. I love them. We still make it a point to get together at least once a week since we all live at least within 20 miles of each other.

Gemel said...

Fabulous, the photos and your words took me there with you, what a blessing of a friendship you have...

Shrinky said...

I ask myself that more and more recently. As the years fall by, the faster they seem to slip away, don't they? I look with prided at my children and see them on the precipice of of their own life adventures, with the world at their feet, and recall when I was once as fresh faced and eager to plunge into my own journey.

It's panned out well with few regrets for me - but I still don't understand how I came to be so old! It is a mercy having a friend or two who has walked the journey with you, isn't it?

DJan said...

It's funny, Nancy, you often verbalize internal conversations I have. The blogosphere and Facebook are keeping me connected with longtime friends I don't see since I moved here, and I've made new ones, like you.

Life is a process, a journey, and as we all know, shared journeys are always more fulfilling. Although we are looking to freeze frame a moment and call it a friendship, fortunately we have pictures for that!

Brian Miller said...

the years change our persepctives...but its great to have those long standing friendships to share them with...

Jen said...

At least another 40 years. AT LEAST!

Joanna said...

It's so interesting the way our lives and activities change as we grow but with our old friends we can feel just comfortable at any stage. The lake looks like a really lovely place.

Stella Jones said...

Our friends become more dear with each year that passes. I'm at the same stage as you Nancy. I saw my friend on Thursday. We've known each other since we were five years old and started school together.
Blessings, Star

Anonymous said...

Hi Nancy! I love the photos and the story! I don't have any long term friendships that lasted unfortunately...everyone has moved on. But I do wonder how the heck I am 41 years old, lol! I'm NOWHERE near ready for a mid life crisis, I feel like I'm 20!! It's just a nice way to remind us to really seize the day and live without regret isn't it? Have a great weekend!

Cloudia said...

Wonderful & wise post.

You are lucky to have this friend and this knowing, and we are lucky you write and photo so well!

I wrote about my friend, Carl this week on my blog.

Aloha-

Comfort Spiral

harmony said...

Lovely to be nostalgic and remember your friends.
I stopped by to let you know that I tagged you in the Show Your Heart Post. Please stop by to get the relevant information.
Thanks. From your postings, I know you have a ton of heart to share.
Be well--
Harmony

Unknown said...

all of these posts today seem to be about time. Its making me sad!lol

California Girl said...

What the hell. Keep going til you no longer can walk. There is no one to continue in our place no matter what we think. Go, go, go.

Brenda Susan said...

Beautiful post! It is so good to stop & look around once in awhile. And an old friend is the best way to make that moment happen!

Anonymous said...

It's friendships like that that I truly yearn for. I have made one lifelong friend, but you are rich with friends.

Such an amazing post, Nancy. It gave me goosebumps. I can see you ladies drinking wine on the beach with your big hats and smiles.

:)

(Diane) Bibliophile By the Sea said...

I just came across your blog to day--it's graet, and i can relate to it....(life in the second half for me too...sadly)

Midlife Roadtripper said...

Girl friends, especially those that have traveled our roads, have immeasurable value in our lives. Nothing like them.

Glad you didn't skip the wine.