Monday, August 31, 2009

The Four Insights


I just finished this book by Alberto Villoldo, PH.D., who is a medical anthropologist. It was recommended by one of you, and I can't remember who, exactly. But thank you. I really enjoyed it.

I think I will do something a little different with my blog. I thought I would do a quick review of those books that might be of value to others. You never know when one of those sparks will ignite a reader.

In this case Dr. Villoldo takes us into the world of the Shaman, or Healer. A fascinating look at an ancient practice dating back thousands of years with ancient cultures such as the Mayan, Inca, Aztec, and many more. In this case it is the "Laika" who's name came from the Andes and the Amazon. These secret societies have existed for millenia, and are entrusted with carefully guarded wisdom. They are the "Earthkeepers." They believe that the four insights teach that "all of creation, the earth, humans, whales, rocks, and even the stars - are made up of vibration and light." They also believe we are dreaming our lives, and that we can dream the world we want into being.

For those interested in healing, energy, and specific practices involving both, this may be a good book for you. Dr. Villoldo also has intensive retreat/trainings that you can attend, along with books, tapes, and other material you might be interested in perusing.

As the healthcare debate rages on in this country, I think we will begin to look at our health in a very different way. The old way of treating disease with pharmaceutical drugs will take a backseat to preserving our health before we get sick. We will look for alternative ways for remaining healthy and dealing with illness, utilizing alternative medicine, nutrition, and nurturing the mind/body connection.

So I will do a short review of what I'm reading, and please, keep those recommendations coming.


16 comments:

Midlife Roadtripper said...

"The old way of treating disease with pharmaceutical drugs will take a backseat to preserving our health before we get sick."

Excellent concept. Prevention is much cheaper and more efficient. Now, to get everyone on board. Sounds like a most interesting world. Guess I need to come out of my summer fiction hideaway.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

I try not to take any pharmaceuticals. Most doctors are pill pushers these days. Sounds like a great read.

TheChicGeek said...

This sounds like an interesting book. I have long been a believer in the ways of Eastern medicine and natural healing methods.
"Utilizing alternative medicine, nutrition, and nurturing the mind/body connection," so important!
Great review! I will check this one out :)

Have a Great Day, Nancy!

Jen said...

I think it is really weird that I am going to holistic health school around the time that you are researching all of this. Very interesting. I am FOR SURE going to read that book!

DJan said...

I'll take a look at it in the bookstore next time I'm there (usually every Wednesday). It looks like an interesting read, but I'm only halfway through "The Untethered Soul" and need to finish it before taking up another one of these.

Brian Miller said...

i think there is a big gap in the preserving and nurturing department in peoples lives. we have moved more to crisis management or waiting until thepace of our days runs us intot he ground before we admit to needing something a whole lot healthier. interesting book, may have to check that one out...thanks nancy.

Expat From Hell said...

I think some publisher owes you a commission, Nancy! Great post, and very interesting book. As a national health care recipient in three different places, I am looking forward to the changes ahead. That we need to bring upon ourselves! Once again, another home run, my friend.

EFH

ellen abbott said...

Sounds like a good read. My 'to read' list keeps getting longer while I waste time with fluff.

Anonymous said...

I already put it on my book list.

Rosaria Williams said...

Nancy, this is so interesting. I would quote the same sentence as Midlife. Yes, prevention and life-style choices should be major elements of our health care system.

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

I so agree with you about the pharmaceutical drug treatments being replaced with preserving our health before we get sick. This is such a foreign concept in today's medical world...a pill for this or that instead of really changing what has caused the problem in the first place. This sounds like a very, very interesting book to me!

Miss Footloose said...

Sounds like a book I might find interesting. I've read a number of titles by Deepak Chopra and Wayne Dyer, and I am convinced there is more to our existence than the 3-dimensional reality that modern science can "prove" to exist.

I am all for using alternative forms of healing and traditional types of remedies. I read that in Sweden the people are healthier (by some measurements I don't remember) and live longer than Americans, but that it costs only half as much to keep it that way. It is said this is due not only to good preventive health care, but also because they use homeopathic medicine and other alternative types of care.

There has got to be some truth and value to all this.

Enough. Will buy book.

Miss Footloose
www.lifeintheexpatlane.blogspot.com
Tales of the Globetrotting Life

Leah J. Utas said...

This is most interesting. Thanks for pointing it out.
I agree that all is vibration and light.
One more book for my TBR pile.

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Rob went on a retreat with Villodo back in the 1990s, to one of those mystical canyons in the southwest. He loved it. Millie told him beforehand that he would see a white wolf. If memory serves, he had the experience. I think there were a lot of other synchros connected with that trip. Villodo is awesome.

Ruth said...

I once recommended Beyond Fear to you I think, which is similar to the Four Insights in theme. Don Miguel Ruiz is also amazing. I haven't read this one, but I've wanted to.

I'm glad you're reviewing books like this.

Deboshree said...

The book seems very interesting.
Yes, keep the reviews coming. We might want to read them.

Love
Deboshree