Monday, August 3, 2009

Dynamic Dynamo



(Here is where we found her one day - she had put herself in with the dog.)

When my children were four, I can remember them being a challenge. Four is a time in the lifespan where they understand many, many things. However, they do not always understand the consequences of their actions. So they have will, ability, and impulse working at high speed, but the frontal lobe, the center for higher reasoning, will not kick in fully for another twenty years. If you add intelligence to the mix you are apt to have a dynamic little dynamo of a four-year-old. Which is exactly what my great-niece is - a dynamic little dynamo.

My brother, her grandfather, is smitten, and very patient with his little sweetheart. He's protective of her and makes sure she has all her needs met. Her mother is a young mother, and hard working. Father not in the picture. Which has caused some problems lately as she wants to call her grandfather Daddy, like her cousins do to my nephew, their daddy. He keeps reminding her that he's Grampa, not Daddy. We all feel more than a little sad, when this is said.

Anyway, yesterday Lu and I dead-headed the hibiscus plants, gathered apples from the apple tree, read books, and watched The Backyardigans, stored on my computer (for emergencies with my grandson.) We were getting ready to leave, luggage in the car, saying our goodbyes when Lu grabbed my purse and started twisting and pulling. Fearing she would break the strap, I let go, thinking I would just get the purse back after she held it for a minute. Well, she immediately, in a flash, ran it over to the pantry, tossed it in, locked the door from the inside and pulled it closed! My purse was locked in the pantry. You need a key to open it. Well from the looks of dread on my brother and sister-in-law's face this was not going to be easy. The key had been missing for some time! A locksmith had to come out and open it the last time the pantry door had been locked. He'd charged $40, and because they are outside of Sacramento, probably more for the drive.

So for the next hour Lu and I read books while my husband, brother, and sister-in-law tried everything in the book to get that door open. Hangers, knives, thick pieces of plastic, credit cards, screwdrivers. Taking the door off the hinges was not an option, unfortunately. My brother finally sawed through the lock. The knob will need replacing, but my purse was freed!

After a great visit, wonderful swim, and a party with my family and cousins, we were finally on our way home. But I'm very honored that Lu liked her great-aunt enough to try to get her to stay a while longer, thinking she couldn't leave without her purse. And, it worked! She got an extra hour of story time.

29 comments:

Meeko Fabulous said...

Now THAT is love. :)

Brian Miller said...

this one gave me smiles...she obviously has great love for you and the investments you are making in her life...keep reading...she'll keep dreaming...

JennyMac said...

That picture is SO adorable!

Lydia said...

Perfectly captivating, both child and this post. You? both captive and captivating!

Anonymous said...

This one gave me smiles

Get More Details

Sylvia said...

Wow! I love the Photo and the post. This is literally Rock the Cage.

Elizabeth Bradley said...

Kids.

Jen said...

LOL!

Rosaria Williams said...

Smart and quite demanding. I bet, though, she appreciates all the love and attention you give her.

DJan said...

THIS one is going places! Quite a quick thinker, and she must have known that you might not be able to leave at all. This is the part about kids that people tend to forget: what they take in, and how they use that information. Lu will probably get her higher education from scholarships, if she puts her mind to it! What a dynamo is right!

ellen abbott said...

What a great story. She's a quick one she is. A favorite age of mine for little ones.

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

What a cutie - both of them!

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

Kids can do the darndest things at times! Their ingenuity and creativity is baffling...as you well found out!

Unknown said...

LOVE kids, so curious!

The Good Cook said...

Oh what a little love... how blessed is your brother and his daughter and of course LU!

TheChicGeek said...

Cutest pic eva!!!!!!
I LOVE IT!

~JarieLyn~ said...

I loved this story. The photo is great too. She's a very pretty little girl and smart too. Hope you enjoyed your vacation.

robert said...

My son will turn two in a few weeks. Thank you for providing information about what to await.
Please have a nice Tuesday.

Stacey Snacks said...

what a fantastic picture!
I love it!

Marguerite said...

That is the cutest story and photo. She sounds just like my daughter, at that age. That kind of determination will help her later in life. Glad you had a good time!

Pat said...

This is one clever little girl! What a cute picture, too!

Ruth said...

Ah, Nancy, what a great story.

I am loving blogs for how they document these life images. I really love how you think.

Kathy's Klothesline said...

Watch out for this one! She has determination and will likely hit all the obstacles of life head-on!

When my youngest was about that age she went up and down the street and gathered everyone's mail and brought it to me......I tried to invisible as I redistributed it!

Reya Mellicker said...

Whoa, that girl is smart! I'm impressed! It's so ingenious, it would be hard to even get angry about her little stunt. Big stunt! Bravo!!

Deboshree said...

Haha..that was something!
So sweet! She really must have taken a strong liking to you!
Glad you had a great time.

Love
Deboshree

pam said...

I'm waiting on that higher reasoning center to kick in on my 20 year old. Any day now, please!

Chris Wolf said...

what's the rest of the story? did the parents punish her, admonish her, praise her quick thinking? Was she sorry, what did she say about it? Are there any consequences? Will it work again next time? Did you have that extra hour? How did you feel about being there? No plane to catch or meetings? Is there any thought to why she locked up herself in the cage and then your purse?

Anonymous said...

She loves you so much. It's adorable, yet bothersome when children will go to any length to get what they desire.
When my brother was 4 he decided he would destroy my mother's hairspray can because he hated the smell. He blamed it on the cat. :)

Unknown said...

OH MY GOD! Kid in a cage! That is too hilarious. Because for that child, that is the most normal sense-making thing in the world. Kid and a pug. Oh man that is just the best. Nothing beats that. Picture of the month!