Sunday, October 11, 2009

Stoned



No. Not that kind. The kind that twinkle and glow, are dark, light, smooth, jagged. The kind of stones that have stories and reputed special properties. I have taken to those stones lately.

I found this beauty in a shop on Hawthorn, in Portland, Oregon. It has a story, too.

I knew I wanted a crystal, but it had to be just the right crystal. I have always had one until fairly recently. I don't know why. Just because they intrigue me, I guess. I gave my daughter the one that always sat on my dresser before one of our moves, and she wasn't willing to give it back. She said it protects her from bad energy.

Anyway, The Gold Door has a massive array of crystals. Passing on the ones shaped like a penis - don't ask me why - I was drawn to this one crystal that was big and shaped into a more acceptable bedside accessory. (Fertility is not my issue at the moment.) It was a beautiful rose quartz crystal. It was the only one of its kind in the store. I knew it was out of my budget. So I looked at a clear one a little smaller - over $200. Moving on, I found one even smaller - same outcome. I was just about to walk away when I decided, just for fun, to see how much the rose colored crystal cost. I had to get the salesgirl, feeling guilty about having her go to all the trouble, knowing full well I wasn't going to buy it, based on the prices of the others. She struggled to get it out, and around, from all the other crystals without having a major catastrophe. Pulling it out she remarked how pretty it was. My daughter, standing nearby, agreed. It was a beaut!

She hands me the hefty crystal, and I'm immediately smitten. I turn it over to see what the price is, and it says....$25.00. Not the $250-$300 range for the others. Twenty-five dollars! I really couldn't believe my eyes! The salesgirl seemed very confused - she said it was obviously mismarked. But of course, since she took it out of the cabinet, she would stand behind the price tag. It now sits on a shelf beside my bed, in all it's rosy, $25, glory.

Rose crystal is proposed to be the stone of love for oneself, life partner, children, family, friends, community, the Earth, the Universe, the Divine. It is said to activate the heart chakra, dissolve boundaries of isolation, and heal the heart of wounds. It is recommended for the bedroom, around one's neck, and on the desk to keep one's interactions in the highest possible state of harmony. It carries the loving consciousness of the Christ, and other heart-centered spiritual masters.

So there you have it. If you want to attract love, wear the rose quartz crystal. Put it on your desk to remind you to get along with others, and keep it in your bedroom to draw loving positive energy to your dreams. Give it to those in need of love in their lives, who are grieving, or seem lost and alone. It might be a nice gift to leave on the desk of that person at work that is driving you nuts. It couldn't hurt.

I'm now in search of just the right piece of moldavite, said to be very powerful. I'll keep you updated.

A little addendum: Since a commenter felt this was a sefish and unloving act on my part, for buying the crystal at the price it was offered, I feel the need to further explain. The shopkeeper offered the crystal at that price - she was not sure what the correct price was of the crystal, it could very well have been the $25 that it was tagged. I asked her if she was sure she wanted to sell it, and she laughingly said yes, of course. I didn't make her sell me the item. If it was wrongly priced, I would never do that. I'm sorry if my post gave that impression.

43 comments:

Hilary said...

It all sounds quite fascinating and that sure is a beautiful crystal. What a lucky find with that price tag. It must have called you.

DJan said...

I have always loved crystals. I have one hanging in the window that has followed me around for more than 40 years. I gave my sister one to take with her into the radiation chamber when she was getting treated for breast cancer, and she felt it took in the negativity of being in there. So I also believe. And somehow, you were the one the rose crystal was looking for and it was probably your guardian angel who busily distracted the salesperson who mismarked it. Don't you think? :-)

Nancy said...

Hilary - I think so!

DJan - There was some synchronicity in this purchase, that's for sure. I am just starting to explore the healing properties of stones. Interesting subject.

~JarieLyn~ said...

I have always liked crystals too, but I don't know the meanings of them. I used to have one a long time ago. I don't recall what kind it was or where it is now, but I think it was a crystal of white color.

The one you purchased sure is pretty, and what a steal. I'm interested to know more about them so keep us updated on your future purchases.

ellen abbott said...

It was obviously meant for you to have. Isn't that wonderful when all the forces come together like that?

Kathy G said...

What an interesting looking crystal!

Linda Pendleton said...

LOL. Obviously you were meant to have it, Nancy. Very pretty.

susan said...

That's a Portland store I have visited more than once or twice. That's a beautiful piece of rose quartz and must have been meant for you to have. Sweet find ;-)

Brian Miller said...

beautiful crystal...the stone of love...i like that too. and the price, not so bad either. hope you had a wonderful weekend!

Pat said...

It was meant to be! It's beautiful, and that price tag was NO mistake. It had YOUR name on it!

Jo said...

That is what I call serendipity. That crystal and you were meant for each other. There is something magical and mysterious about crystal, isn't there? I have several crystal Christmas ornaments, and I love the way they catch the light.

Joanne said...

It seems like that crystal was waiting just for you, destined to be yours, wow, did you get a great price! So pretty, and I love the wisdom behind it, which I'd never heard before.

Sylvia said...

I believe in the healing powers of stones. It is a open field for studying. That crystal is amazing. The point of the crystals is that you must have it close to you, preferably in your hands, so that it can absorb your emotions. Excellent finding.

Malu Silverman said...

That's a beautiful crystal. Never seen anything like it!

My friends use crystal for pranic healing.

alaine@éclectique said...

Well, that was a great find! My son's gift of a clear crystal pendant, flanked by two blue sapphires on a silver chain is special. I think I'll go and put it on.

You'll always be reminded of that day; that will be its power.

Von said...

Nancy what a beauty!And of course one of those lovely stories to go with it.Serendipity again.Crystals so enhance life, enjoy!

GYPSYWOMAN said...

beautiful crystal! wonderful story! i just ordered a moldavite ring after the macgregor's post about it over on synchronicity - ordered it online - the place from which i ordered it had a wide selection of it in different forms - jewelry and bulk pieces - but i chose a ring so i can have it on my body all the time - unlike earrings, for example - and i didn't want to risk losing a separate piece so - anyway, neat post!

California Girl said...

whatta bargain! it was meant to be, don't you think? And it is a beautiful crystal.

I've never tried them. I have a friend who is a bona fide shaman. She believes in many unusual methods of protection and prayer and summoning of spirits. I find her incredibly energetic and entertaining. Healing is her ultimate goal with each patient.

Reya Mellicker said...

It's a gorgeous crystal, and was obviously meant to be yours (since the price was inexplicably within your price range.)

It doesn't like like rose quartz which is usually light pink and opaque. Yours looks like clear quarts with infusions of other stones, or is it etched?

Whatever, it is beautiful! I have very reciprocal relationships with my stones and crystals. I take care of them, and they take care of me.

This one is a beauty!!

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

I suppose I could say how wonderful it is and how lucky you are, but I'm sorry, I don't quite get how you think it will bring you positive energy when it was acquired by doing the store-keeper out of $225.00 - seems very unfair, and unloving and certainly negative for the now poorer storekeeper? But that's just me.

Anonymous said...

A further proof that one should prefer glass/crystal over diamonds.

A wonderful bright week for you.

Mental P Mama said...

Quite the bargain shopper;) Now I want one. Or I should say...I need one. Thanks!

Nancy said...

Bonnie - I didn't "do the shopkeeper out of $225" - I did not ask her to sell it for that amount. She offered it. How do you know it was not originally that amount? I think you shouldn't be so judgmental.

Midlife Roadtripper said...

How lucky to have found the crystal. I always enjoyed a small crystal hanging in my kitchen window,but knew nothing as you have written here. Always amazed at what I don't know.

Oh, and I admit. When I saw your title, I was looking for the buzz.

Nancy said...

Reya - The shopkeeper thought it was a rose quartz crystal, but she could have been wrong. It is not etched. It has rose colored streaks through it. Maybe that's why it was only $25. :-) At any rate, I love it!

Isha Ethera said...

ha dang, bonnie is being negative there for someone talking all about negative BS.

That was straight up fate!
dont argue with what the universe wants for you! Shessh.

I think thats great! anyone who knows anything knows that you manifested that and you deserved that one low priced stone that was calling out to you!

great post! =]

& yay for you

Anonymous said...

thats cool I love crystals and wish I could find a good deal like that!

Mike said...

That crystal looks like it would hurt! hahaha!

willow said...

Oh, we must be on the same wave length, because I was thinking of doing a post on stones and their properties. I still might, in the coming weeks. I think the subject is incredibly fascinating!!

My daughter wears a necklace of huge chunky crystals for their energies.

Swetha said...

nice story:) the crystal is beautiful and worth for 25$. i think i should buy and have it in my room.. i have never heard about anything like this!

The Good Cook said...

Oh my. I do wish you lived nearby. I have shelves and shelves of rocks, crystals, minerals, etc... TBHITW is a geologist and has been collecting for years.

We just added a Josh Simpson glass "planet" to our collection. Beauty.

AND I wish I could post pics in comments - I could show you our Moldavite.

Let me know if you ever come East! We'll let you pick from the collection!

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Nancy: Sorry I offended you. I was giving my reaction to the post that stated the salesgirl said "it was obviously mismarked" . . . I presumed that the 'mismarking' was a zero that had been left off the price, by that statment and that you were excited about getting for $25 instead of $225. Apologies for making an erroneous assumption.

Nancy said...

Bonnie - Thanks. I wasn't as clear as I should have been in the post. I think it had been sitting on the shelf a while. It may have been the price originally, and all the new ones were priced up. This particular store is known for being a little pricey, and the big clear ones were more expensive then I have seen elsewhere. Thanks for coming back. I appreciate it.

Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

Nancy: Thank you for 'receiving' my apology.

I think this is a good example of how openly expressing our views, our reactions, our hurt feelings, our feeling misunderstood, our clarifications and apologies when necessary can happen here in the blogosphere!!

I am looking for 'real' conversations in this virtual world, not only praise and cudos as valid and appreciated as they are. So I appreciate your very real reaction to my comment and your being open to receiving my apology for misunderstanding your post and making a comment that to you felt judgmental and hurtful. I'm glad you expressed it - and I'm really glad I came back and discovered how you were feeling.

I, hope, too, you can appreciate my efforts to be as honest as possible in all my communications.

((( HUGS )))

Hilary said...

I think the crystal is already working its magic for Bonnie and Nancy. ;)

Alicia @ boylerpf said...

I have always been fascinated by the healing properties of stones. It all started many years ago when my horse was going through many operations. One of the vet techs gave me a clear crystal and said to keep it near his stall to send positive healing energies. Of course, I thought it quite weird but she was adamant that I do so and followed instructions. Now whether or not it had the benefits prescribed, the horse heeled in half the time. I was hooked from that moment on. The crystal was clearly meant for you...positive energies were sent out & it didn't hurt the price tag was spot on!

Nancy said...

Bonnie - Ditto! Thank you for being honest. After re-reading the post, I could see how you came to the conclusion you did. I need to button things up a bit in my writing style.

pam said...

It's beautiful! I want some positive energy!

Nancy said...

Alicia - Fascinating! I may have to talk with you sometime on the subject.

Leah J. Utas said...

Clearly it was meant for you.

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Beautiful crystal at any price!

AiringMyLaundry said...

Crystals are so pretty.

I love hanging some up at a window so they can make rainbows.

Lori ann said...

Nancy, first i really feel like hugging you and Bonnie, what a very honest (and human) exchange of words and feelings and just plain sweet. I could see both sides!

BUT, OOOH what a find!
We were in the Hawthorn area but without much time to browse only made it to the yarn shop, hext time I want to look up that store too!