Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Bad Mercury Retro



My friend, Trish MacGregor, has a website that is dedicated to the Omarr series of astrology books - which she writes. This last month has been a Mercury Retro, when Mercury appears to go backwards. She talks about what that means here.

Now, let me talk about what that has meant to me. Last year when we took our vacation to Hawaii we had our whole family there to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. A few days into the vacation, just as all the family was arriving - I got really sick. Seriously sick. I spent most of the vacation in bed as my family enjoyed island life. Mercury was retro for that trip.

This year, same thing. We arrived on Maui on the 16th and by Thanksgiving, I was in Urgent Care. Same illness - serious chest cold. Mercury went retro on the 23rd of November, one day before Thanksgiving. My husband ended up working the entire two weeks. Every day. If not for the view - we could have been at home.

Only this time, I have been sick for a month! The medications did absolutely nothing to hinder the progression of this illness. It steadily got worse. Until today. First day that Mercury went direct - and first day I woke up without coughing. Not much of a voice, but well enough, considering. Trish was right - as soon as Merc went direct, I would start feeling better. (Thanks DJan for the Throat Coat idea.)

But that's not all.

We lost Lilly on November 30th.

My daughter was diagnosed with walking pneumonia. My grandson with pneumonia.

To top it off, my mother-in-law fell and broke her hip last night. (The last day of the retro.) She will be 99 on the 18th. I don't have to spell out the gravity of this event. She either stays bedridden and in pain for the rest of her life - or they attempt a hip replacement. The latter is what she chose to do last night.

So the beautiful Christmas I've been planning all year will probably be different. The party for the 23rd has already been canceled, and we are thinking of driving to Portland to be near his mother for the holiday. The kids won't be skiing, and I won't be cooking wonderful meals in my kitchen with Christmas music and all of my beautiful decorations out of their boxes for the first time in several years. But that's the way things go sometimes. I have my health returning, and my family will be near me. Good enough.

You can bet on one thing - I will never take my vacation during a Mercury Retro again!


11 comments:

Brian Miller said...

ugh...all of that at once is so over welming...yesh...hope that you are still able to enjoy the holidays a bit...it was a few years back at this time that my mom fell and broke her leg...i know she will be appreciative...

kate i said...

Nancy, I'm so glad that out of all this illness and injury, that at least you're beginning to feel better now. Dealing with life's speed bumps when we're feeling sick is just overwhelming. I hope your MIL's surgery goes well. That's a big step to take at her age. My dad is turning 97 next month and is just beginning to face serious health challenges after a lifetime of amazingly good health.

I loved Trish's quote from Kurt Vonnegut..."and so it goes". I'd forgotten that from his books but there are times when it just sums life up perfectly.

Sending wishes for a beautiful Christmas in whatever way, shape or form it comes!

Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

Wow, that's a whole lot of retro stuff! I'm so glad you're health is turning around. Sending good thoughts for your mother-in-law's hip replacement surgery. With surgery, the merc retro shouldn't be a hindrance. That's the domain of Mars!

- Trish

Grandmother Mary said...

I'm sorry to hear about your illness and those of your family. How horrible! Glad you're feeling better and your MIL made the right decision as hip replacement is the best chance of her staying mobile (although surgery is always a risk). I forget who Lilly is but I presume she's a pet, so condolences on her loss. Rest, heal, blessings on you and your family.

Nancy said...

Brian - When it rains - it pours.

Kate - Thank you so much. My MIL has benefited from a lifetime of good health, as well. Hopefully the surgery will go well - but as you mentioned - it's a big step for her age.

Grandmother - Lilly was our great-neice - I posted about her on December 2nd. It has been quite a month! Thank you for the warm wishes. I really appreciate them.

Hilary said...

Nancy, I'm so sorry that you've had to deal with so many woes this past month.

I'm hearing of many minor incidents (computer problems, lost items.. etc) but nothing as dire as many of the painful experiences you've encountered over the past month.

Life certainly does test our strength sometimes. You strike me as a worthy opponent to strife. Be strong, and for those weaker moments, I'm sending a fortifying hug your way.

Linda Myers said...

Your chain of disappointments would make a retro believer out of me! Glad to hear things are improving.

Gemel said...

Bless you, sending many healing and loving vibes♥

Frank's Corner said...

Well, I can hardly believe it isn't still retrograde since I started today with my daughter getting in a minor car accident and ended it, after driving 100 miles ( am a homecare therapist) with my last patient's dog peeing on my sweater. This must have been my grand finale. I hope all is well with your family and that your mother in law sails through the surgery.

R. J. said...

I'm one more reader wishing you better times in the future. I hope you find some good news to enjoy during the holidays and into the new year.

Umā said...

I'm with Frank's Corner, today was as much as a disaster as the rest of the month has been, if not worse!

Nancy, I hope this illness and series of bad news will turn around quickly and that you are able to enjoy the upcoming holidays. A friend shared a quote from Joseph Campbell with me this morning, "We must be willing to let go of the life we have planned, so as to have the life that is waiting for us." Seemed appropriate, even when applied to the smaller parts of life.