Monday, January 18, 2010

Guidelines





I have always admired Gary Zukov.  The Seat of the Soul was one of those books that resonated with me in a very big way. I read it sometime in the early 1990's, when it first came out, and have re-read it every few years. He and his partner Linda Frances give workshops, have written a new book, and put out an occasional newsletter. I was reminded of their "guidelines" which I had posted on my bulletin board in our last house and need to print and put on my Intention Board here. I think I may have printed them in some form or other in a previous post. They are reminders to live our life with intention and awareness. Since it's a new year, I thought you might be interested in perusing them:



Practice using these Guidelines everywhere – at home, with family, with friends, with adversaries, at work, and at play. 
  • COMMITMENT – MAKING MY SPIRITUAL GROWTH (CREATING AUTHENTIC POWER) MY HIGHEST PRIORITY
    • Focus on what I can learn about myself all the time, especially from my reactions (such as anger, fear, jealousy, resentment, and impatience), instead of judging or blaming others or myself.
    • Pay attention to my emotions by feeling the physical sensations in my energy centers (such as my chest, solar plexus, and throat areas).
    • Pay attention to my thoughts (such as judging, analyzing, comparing, daydreaming, planning my reply, etc., or thoughts of gratitude, appreciation, contentment, openness to Life, etc.)
    • Pay attention to my intention (such as blaming, judging, needing to be right, seeking admiration, escaping into thoughts (intellectualizing), trying to convince, etc., or cooperating, sharing, creating harmony, and revering Life).
  • COURAGE – STRETCHING MYSELF BEYOND THE LIMITED PERSPECTIVES OF THE FRIGHTENED PARTS OF MY PERSONALITY
    • Take responsibility for my feelings, experiences, and actions (no blaming).
    • Practice integrity at all times (often requires action, such as speaking when frightened parts of my personality don’t want to speak and not speaking when they feel compelled to speak).
    • Say or do what is most difficult (sharing what I notice, if appropriate, when someone speaks or acts from a frightened part of his or her personality; sharing about myself what I am frightened to say and know that I need to say.)
    • COMPASSION –SEEING MYSELF AND OTHERS AS SOULS WHO SOMETIMES HAVE FRIGHTENED PARTS OF THEIR PERSONALITIES ACTIVE
      • Change my perspective from fearful to loving (choose to see myself and others in a loving or appreciative way).
      • Release any distance I feel from anyone.
      • Be present while others are speaking (not preparing replies, judging, etc.)
    • CONSCIOUS COMMUNICATIONS AND ACTIONS – STRIVING TO MAKE ALL MY INTERACTIONS CONSCIOUS AND LOVING
      • Consult my intuition.
      • Choose my intention before I speak or act.
      • Act from the healthiest part of my personality that I can access (rather than caretaking, fixing, teaching, judging, blaming, gossiping, etc.)
      • Speak personally and specifically rather than generally and abstractly (use “I” statements rather than “we” or “you” statements).
      • Release attachment to the outcome (trust the Universe).  If I find myself attached, begin again with Commitment, Courage, Compassion.
      And remember to enjoy yourself!

      34 comments:

      Lydia said...

      I will definitely be sharing this with my husband.

      I read Seat of the Soul when it first came out but have not re-read it, and now I think I just might!

      Good Martin Luther King Jr. Day to you.

      Von said...

      A very useful post and a timely reminder!

      Delwyn said...

      Hi Nancy

      what a wonderful face to accompany this great post .
      Happy days

      Brian Miller said...

      what a cool list. usually not a fan of list when it comes to spirituality because they easily become empty practice, but i like this one...

      Gemel said...

      I agree Seat of the Soul is an awesome read, and a great post..

      Unknown said...

      Haven't read Seat of the Soul, even when Oprah recommended it several years ago... but I think I want to read it now. Thanks!

      Mental P Mama said...

      Oh I loved that book! I may need to go reread it...

      whalechaser said...

      Thank you Nancy,
      A daily dose of your blog never fails to encourage and support. Thanks for being here!

      Leah J. Utas said...

      I have this book on my shelf, but have yet to read it. Methinks it's time.

      Joanne said...

      I so agree with take responsibility and practice integrity. Together, those two qualities seem to positively influence many of the others.

      DJan said...

      Thanks for the reminder and the book review, which I missed somehow. I'll take a look at it, since YOU value it so highly, and I love these spiritual reminders.

      Rosaria Williams said...

      This is rich! There is enough here for many conversations.

      wineandroasts said...

      "act from the healthiest part of my personality."

      excellent, excellent advice!

      Amy said...

      A great and timely post Nancy - I especially like your intention board, a great idea for the beginning of the year (and all year for that matter) - and to share with your husband is wonderful! I'm going to check out Seat of the Soul as well - reading your post has been a great way to start this rainy week, so thank you!

      Brenda Susan said...

      Argh! Nancy, I just now accidentally deleted your comment on my newest post!! And it was inspired by your last post regarding "stream of conciousness" blogging! I did not get a chance to read it. Maybe you could re-comment me?
      Thanx! BS

      Brenda Susan said...

      Me again! wow, I just read this post & it is wonderful! I have been learning to live MORE INTENTIONALLY in all areas of my life & this expresses that very clearly. For me, God is my center & these statements are exactly what He is saying to us.

      ~JarieLyn~ said...

      Nancy, I too, read Seat of The Soul and just loved it. It really makes you think. Thanks for the reminder of living with intention. Great post.

      ds said...

      These sound like guidelines I might actually be able to follow. What a perfect reminder for Martin Luther King Day.
      Thanks, Nancy!

      Anonymous said...

      Thanks Nancy for sharing!
      :)

      Bonnie Zieman, M.Ed. said...

      Gary Zukov is such a gentle soul. What a great distillation of transpersonal knowledge/wisdom into these guidelines. Wouldn't the world be a better place if we all followed them?!

      GYPSYWOMAN said...

      oh, yes, gary zukov - at the top of my list for many moons! lessons for us all - thanks so much for reminding us of this great writer and gentle spirit! and for reminding us of our intended intentions!!! :)

      Lori ann said...

      Thank you for sharing this Nancy, i've not read the book.

      I can't stop staring at your freshly baked bread though. :)

      Lori said...

      Oh Nancy thank you! I needed this. I needed to read this. I've never heard of this before. I am off to print this off for myself. I really needed the reminders in all these things today. Thank you!

      Mike said...

      Read??? Me?? I need to try it some time! :)

      Anonymous said...

      I shall do my outmost to keep on walking to that guidlines you do show here. Thank you very much for introducing me to a probably amazing book. A wonderful Tuesday for you.

      Cloudia said...

      Yes, a book the bears many re-readings. Mine is underlined to a fare-thee-well :-)



      Aloha, Friend!


      Comfort Spiral

      susan said...

      An excellent list and guideline for anyone.

      That photo at the top reminded me of one I saw today - a statue of an Olmec. Don't you sometimes wonder if people used to be wiser in general?

      Anonymous said...

      I soooo wish I was better at choosing my intention. I normally think about what I should have chosen... and it's never the same one that I did!! Must try harder.

      Trish and Rob MacGregor said...

      Great post, Nancy. Zukav's book also resonated for me.

      Herrad said...

      Hi Nancy,
      Good thought provoking post, thanks for sharing.
      Love,
      Herrad

      Reya Mellicker said...

      All this advice is so healthy-minded! Wow, thank you.

      Marlene said...

      wonderful post Nancy! I also have read and re read this book..one of my favorites...covered with highlighter to prove it!!!

      Midlife Roadtripper said...

      I just came across that book on my shelf the other day. Hadn't read it in years. I think I'll pull it out and read again. A good reminder.

      Anonymous said...

      I just read this and I would like to print it out. I have yet to make my intention board...