Sunday, November 2, 2008

Hopes for the future...

We are heading into the home stretch for this election. It is Sunday, and I have already watched Meet the Press, and read the New York Times, Huffington Post, and Politico. I, like millions of my fellow citizens, are hoping and praying for my man to win. I pray that he wins in a landslide. I pray that when he enters the White House, our country will come out of the dark place it has resided for the last eight years, and enter a time of enlightenment. All my spiritual reading, done over many years, have alluded to just such a time. A time when our politicians will be aligned with the wishes and hopes of it's citizens. A time when we will put all our efforts toward clean energy, jobs that pay more than service-industry wages, health care for all, an improved infrastructure, and a re-vamped educational system that will actually keep up in this new century. It is time for our country to embrace intellectualism, as well as, spirituality. Spirituality that embraces new ideas, and allows for differences. A time when we know we are only limited by our thinking of ourselves as limited. 

I pray that our president will reach "across the aisle" and embrace the best our country has to offer to help us out of the mess we are in. May he recognize the best and brightest of all colors, of both genders, and of all affiliations. I think it is Barack Obama. I think he was sent at this time in history, as it has happened in other times, with other presidents, to unite our country and our people. But he can't do it alone. Each and every one of us is going to have to give something up. We are going to have to pay more taxes, and/or do more community service, drive smaller, more gas-efficient cars, use fluorescent light bulbs, recycle, and the list goes on. This is about all of us. 

Now, I will keep my fingers crossed for the next two days...

2 comments:

Jo-Mama said...

I have been working at my area Obama headquarters doing everything from data entry to driving neighborhoods, door knocking, what have you. I am so hopeful that I can barely allow myself to envision a new kind of America. I grew up in the 60's, voted and campaigned for Robert F. Kennedy. Lived in Los Angeles and was at the Ambassador hotel. I have not worked for any campaign since because the hope was sucked from my soul after losing John, Martin and Bobby. I have had new life restored to my hopes for the future and my sardonic outlook on life. I have been in regular contact with old friends (I have not seen in 30 years) who slept on floors of friends and organizers apartments in the 60's readying to march for peace in Vietnam. Can you imagine how this election is effecting me? Barack IS the one! The sacrifice he and his family are making to to take on this challenge is staggering. He is our chance to become human beings again and better people. It is a chance for our children to see what a truly great person with special gifts can do given a chance. We must participate in the process; we must, as you so aptly stated, be part of the solution. Your piece is fabulous and says it all much better than I ever could. Pray for him. He is going to have a challenge unlike any other.

Jen said...

Please please PLEASE let him win!