Monday, August 28, 2017

Long Overdue Update



I just received a very nice comment from Susan from a post I wrote last November regarding my husband's illness. Thank you, everyone, for your kind words.

It has been a difficult year. My husband had a regrowth of his tumor in December and had a second surgery in January, followed by more radiation and chemotherapy. He has just not been able to recover much and is now on Hospice care, which we started last week as new tumor growth was detected behind his right eye. Inoperable.

Glioblastoma is unrelenting for some people, and others seem to do well with the standard of care, or keto diet, cannabis oil, etc. For my husband, nothing has worked and he is now well into the 12-15 months they give you at the start of this horror show. Any time from now on is a gift.

We've bought a beautiful property out in the country for a family compound and our younger daughter and her husband will live there permanently, with my older daughter and I visiting on weekends, summer, etc. For now, we have set up a first-floor room where he can look out the window at a beautiful scene and still be able to navigate to a downstairs bathroom. Our three story townhouse in the city is not navigable.

My life has taken a turn and I am now facing a future without the rock I have always depended on in hard times. I'm lucky to have wonderful family and some really great friends, but the one person, MY person, is slipping away.

I can only hope that the terrible diagnoses of GBM that Senator John McCain was just given will bring new energy to fighting this disease, because they have been using the same stuff to fight it for 40 years! But we continue to wage war, rebuild whole countries on our tax dollars, while we are still using the same standard of care for a quite-common brain cancer that is 100% fatal, sooner or later.

I will try to write and keep you updated, those of you still out there, and I send blessings to each and every one of you to give your significant other a big hug today. Tomorrow is promised to no one.

8 comments:

Kathy G said...

Thanks for the update. I'm sending prayers your way, in the hope that they might do some good.

luksky said...

I've had you in my mind periodically since your last post about your husband. I'm sorry to hear this news. You are in my heart and thoughts. ((hugs))

Nancy/BLissed-Out Grandma said...

Nancy, I'm so sorry to hear your news. I hope you will find some peace and comfort as part of your journey, and I thank you for your reminder to cherish our loved ones.

susan said...

It's good to know you've been able to spend more time together and that you've arranged a family space in the countryside. It's such a sad thing to wake up each day and have the first realization be that someone you love so much is in pain. We are very much defined by the 'one' with whom we have shared a life; there are few others who see us as we were when the world and love was young.

I'm one of those who believe (without, I admit, any proof) that we continue and will meet again, but that doesn't necessarily make it easy to face an empty space in this reality.

Much love to you both.

Al Bossence said...

Nancy, thinking of you and your family. The circle of life not easy. Kelly, Ontario, Canada

Trish MacGregor said...

It's great to see you back online! I'm so sorry about Rich, but your community here in blogging land is with you a 100 percent!

The Good Cook said...

Nancy,I just happened to be browsing through my old blog and saw this post from August 2017. I am so very sorry. I'm sorry for your pain and your dear Rich's diagnosis. I'm also incredibly sorry I was not present in your life to offer you support and words of some small comfort as you were there for
me. My heart weeps for you and yours.
Linda aka The Good Cook

Nancy said...

Thanks so much, Linda. I have thought of you often. Maybe it's time we blog again?